Welcome to our what’s in the bag series!
This is where we’re going through everything that’s in my coaching bag to show you all the different coaching tools that I consider to be “Weiss Tech Essentials” that will help you to be an excellent coach.
This stems from a few questions that have come in like “what do you use for this?” “what do you use for that?” and so I figured let’s just do a whole series of everything I use and recommend in my own coaching… and let’s call it “What’s in the Bag?”
So, this is my actual coaching bag and everything in it!
I’ve actually done a video about the bag itself, so click here for the full list of videos in this series.
In this post I wanted to show you my coaching board. You can see it’s got a lot of years behind it.
In my opinion this is the ideal board. I’ve had this exact one since about 2004, and it’s still going strong. I’m doing this post in 2023 so we’re over 19 years that I’ve been using the same board!
Coaches Board with Handles & Straps
- Includes 1 board and 1 erasable marker
- Handles and straps make this board easy to carry and hang up
- 15″ x 24″
Here are the main reasons I recommend this one:
- TWO STRAPS! This is the main reason I must have this board. The two straps hook over the glass and keep the board stable when drawing. Single strap boards don’t stay balanced, and my experience with suction cup boards has been less than stellar. They don’t keep their hold, they can become deformed in your bag, and they can get lost.
- ADJUSTABLE STRAP LENGTHS – Super useful for different glass heights from rink to rink. You’ll always be able to make sure your board is at the perfect height for you.
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION – The material is thick, dense particle board that has withstood heavy use for nearly two decades of rigorous use.
- IDEAL SURFACE – The drawing surface is smooth and erases well still. The lines have not worn off as is typical with many lower quality boards.
So that is the practice whiteboard that I recommend.
Again, go to Table of Contents page for this series, and you’ll see all the other products… Everything that is in my very own coaching bag. By the end of this you’ll have seen everything I use in my coaching, and the reasons why I’m using each item.
Hope it helps! See you in the next video!
Jeremy Weiss (with his translator) presenting at a hockey coaching symposium for the Russian Federation in Moscow—2018.
Who is Jeremy Weiss?
Hockey coach and international consultant, Jeremy Weiss, has worked with thousands of coaches worldwide since 2008 to help produce championship teams at every age and skill level.
He is known internationally through the work he has done online. In 2008 he invented “digital chalktalks” which combined screen sharing with drill diagramming software, to produce a training experience nobody had ever seen before. His YouTube following quickly grew to over 19,000 subscribers, and he has produced over 130 training videos.
Jeremy runs a development blog for coaches, which has over 280 posts. He is the author of 10 hockey books for coaches, and is the editor of Hockey Development Magazine.
He was trained in the Eastern European style as a pre-teen, by his Czechoslovakian skills coach, and competed internationally as a “Wexford Raider” among the top youth hockey programs in the world including Russia, Czechoslovakia, Finland, and top teams in his home province Ontario, Canada.
He majored in Exercise Sciences at Brigham Young University, and subsequently worked as a Personal Trainer, where he continued to study and develop ideal training methods for hockey.
He has incorporated the very best pieces from the various training styles he has been involved in, and has built a world-class off-ice strength and conditioning program that fits the specific needs of hockey players.