The Michigan Tech 1 on 1 Drill is fantastic for working gap control, passing, agility skating, and many other skills!
This is one of my favorite 1 on 1 drills because you can use it to work on so many different skills. Make sure your forwards swing fairly deep into the zone to receive the breakout pass. This will allow the opposing defenseman time to close the gap properly and play the 1 on 1 the way he or she should in a game.
Also, make sure your defensemen get outside the blue line… that gap MUST be closed, and the defensemen need to be able to get their speed up quickly after the pivot. Here’s the diagram:
Michigan Tech 1 on 1
1. On whistle, 2 forwards and 2 defensemen leave
2. Defensemen do a figure 8 around the cones, then make a breakout pass to the forward swinging through from the far end
3. After making the pass, defensemen close the gap on the forward who left from their same side
4. If coach blows the whistle twice, the forwards change direction and play the 1 on 1 with the other defensemen
5. Coach can blow the whistle multiple times during the same turn. Defensemen must continue to close the gap with each switch.