The 3 Man Weave is a Simple, but Highly Effective Hockey Passing Drill!
Use the 3 Man Weave to teach and reinforce key concepts like timing, support, and offensive zone triangulation. As skill progresses, increase the demand on the players. I like to insist that all my lines are able to get in three stick-to-stick passes before the far blue line, then a controlled attack on net. Here’s the diagram:
3 Man Weave
1. On whistle, center passes to one of the two wingers, who is cutting through the middle for a pass.
2. After making the pass, the passer loops in behind the receiver, providing back-side support, then explodes up ice to become the front side option for the 3rd player.
3. Receiver picks up the pass, then head mans to the 3rd player, who is providing a front-side passing option
4. Passer loops in behind the receiver, and all three players weave down the ice.
5. After crossing the blue line, the puck carrying forward becomes F1 and drives wide, the second forward becomes F2 and drives to the far post, the third forward becomes F3 and trails, thus creating the “Attack Triangle”
The Shuffle T-Pass is a great drill to work on multiple parts of the goaltender’s game.
This drill works on positioning, proper rotation when moving around your crease, proper recovery from a butterfly, playing the puck, and crease awareness. Make sure your goalies don’t cheat in this drill. They should be squaring up to the puck, hugging posts, and get back to their proper post every time on the puck handling portion. Here are the diagrams:
Shuffle T-Pass: Sequence 1
1. Shuffle from one side of the net to the other, stopping square to each puck, dropping to a reactionary butterfly at each puck
2. After arriving at the far post, come back the other way
Note: Make sure to recover with the proper leg; right leg when going from right to left, left leg when going from left to right.
Shuffle T-Pass: Sequence 2
Goalie starts at the post, then skates the following sequence (see our post on the 11 Visual Targets for Hockey Goalies)
1. Position 11
2. Position 6
3. Position 9
4. Position 1
5. Position 6
6. Position 3
7. Back to Position 11
8. Repeat the opposite way
Shuffle T-Pass: Sequence 3
Play the pucks:
1. Ring pass
2. Swipe to corner
3. Clearing pass
4. Straight shot down the ice
5. T-Push back to other post
6. Ring pass
7. Swipe to corner
8. Clearing pass