This Hockey Conditioning Drill Give a Perfect 3:1 Rest-to-Work Ratio
The Michigan Mile is one of my favorite Hockey Conditioning Drills. I picked it up from my old assistant coach, Josh Burkart, who grew up in Michigan. I love it because it’s short, explosive bursts of speed, and can be done in a variety of ways. It also offers an optimal 3:1 rest-to-work ratio, which is perfect for hockey players. Here’s the diagram and explanation:
Four groups, on blues, facing each other. As soon as group 1 finishes, group 2 goes. Then 3, then 4, then back to 1.
1. red line and back – 5 push-ups
2. far blue line and back – 5 push-ups
3. red, back, far blue, back – 5 push-ups
4. far blue, red, far blue, back – 5 push-ups
5. red, back, far blue, back – 5 push-ups
6. far blue line and back – 5 push-ups
7. red line and back – 5 push-ups
Variations: Sit-ups instead of push-ups; down on knees at each stop; add pucks; etc.