Full-Ice Odd-Man-Rush Drill
What’s up guys!! I got an interesting email the other day from Mika from Australia. Because of the size of his local rink, and the limited number of players there, they play 3 on 3 (which sounds like a blast to me!). Anyways, he asked if I had any drills that focused on 3-man set-ups and game situations… this drill immediately came to mind!
It’s a great drill for imitating odd-man rush scenarios, and is also GREAT conditioning for the forwards. Here’s the explanation and diagram:
1. Forwards in one bench, Defensemen in the other
2. On whistle, 3 Forwards swing low and receive a breakout pass from the Coach, then attack 3 on 0
3. After a quick attack, the same 3 Forwards swing to present themselves again for a breakout, while a Defenseman closes the gap.
4. Coach initiates breakout and Forwards attack 3 on 1.
5. After the 3 on 1, the same Forwards will swing again, receive a third breakout pass, then attack 3 on 2.