This is a variation on an old classic, the 3 Zone Timing Drill, which is one of my all-time favorites!
Although flow and timing drills have lost some popularity in recent years, due to the hype surrounding small area games, I do believe there’s a time and place to make effective use of full-ice flow and timing drills, especially for advanced teams.
This style of drill is not only fun, but is great for conditioning, and awesome for getting high-quality reps in for specific game patterns.
Here’s how the drills works:
- 3 players leave together
- Player 1 swings low
- Player 2 swings to the boards
- Player 3 swings high across the far blue line
- Passer moves the puck to Player 2, who makes a touch pass to Player 1, who makes another touch pass to Player 3
- Player 3 and Player 1 attack 2v0
- Player 2 follows up and becomes the passer for the next rotation
Note: for the timing to work, the next 3 players should leave as the Passer is making the first pass.