Finnish Half-Ice Drill
Over the past few weeks I’ve posted a few of my favorite half-ice hockey drills. I’ve had some really good response, and a few of our readers even sent me some of their favorite half-ice drills as well… THANKS!!
This drill is from Petri Väisänen (from Finland), and is a fantastic half-ice drill. One of the reasons I like this one so much is that it’s very customizable––you can create multiple variations to fit lots of different game situations. I show a few of these variations in the video, but feel free to get creative on this one!
Here’s the diagram and explanation:
1. on whistle, (D) skates up to blue line and pivots backward
2. after the pivot, (C) dumps a puck into the corner
3. (D) picks it up and initiates a breakout using the misdirection
4. (F) times the play and swings through to receive a board-side breakout
5. (F) attacks the seam and takes a shot (in stride)
Sequence 2: Same set-up as above, except add a second defenseman, and use a reverse.
Sequence 3: Include a 1 on 1.