Here’s a great half-ice drill that works on many aspects of the goaltender’s game
The 3 Cone Rebound Drill will work on stopping the puck from outside shots, rebound control, recovering, covering the puck, handling rebounds and more. Here are the goalie’s objectives:
1. Stop the Puck!
2. Rebound Control
3. Proper Recovery
Here’s the diagram:
3 Cone Rebound Drill
1. Players line up in corners with pucks
2. 3 players leave at the same time from the same line
3. Player 1 skates puck around near cone, shoots from above the circles, and stays at the net for the rebound on the next shot
4. Goalie tracks, squares up, and fields shot
5. Player 2 skates puck around the middle cone, shoots from above the circles, and stays at the net for the rebound on the next shot
6. Goalie tracks, squares up, and fields shot – controlling the rebound!
7. Player 3 skates puck around the far cone, shoots from above the circles, then drives for his or her own rebound
8. Goalie tracks, squares up, and fields shot – controlling the rebound!
1. Same set up
2. 1st player does the same thing
3. 2nd and 3rd players do a give and go in the slot with the player who went before them.
The second variation forces the goaltender to move much more before the shot is taken. Coaches need to make sure to spread out your shooters so your goaltender can work on his/her objectives in the drill effectively.
USE THIS DRILL IN YOUR OWN PRACTICE PLAN:
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!